[OZAPRS] SSIDs

Ron and Val Smith rsmitj at tpgi.com.au
Fri Jun 4 06:02:29 EST 2004

Hi All,
An interesting discussion and there is really no easy fix as we all have
differnt experimental needs.  That is the attraction of AR!
Brian, I think, is making the point that it would be useful to identify HF
stations. That is a valid point for his particular needs and we should be
able to assist him.
Most current systems have the capability to make a comment to be sent
every
5 beacons or so.  Maybe we can use this, keeping it short, to indicate HF.
That would at least defuse the SSID concerns and help Brian.  Text might
be
Ron 30m or something like that..
Another issue, and I have not really looked into this, is the use of the
field. It can be used as well. Has anybody researched this? I suspect we
have all simply taken the default setting.
The single mobile ssid with multiple vehicles, eg the bike, work car, etc
would work if we were using devices like the TT(n).  However if we use
devices that can respond in some way such as receive messages, kenwood
radios, laptops, PDA APRSCE, some TNCs, etc we will have multiple
to such things as messages, pings, etc.
A year or so ago I remember Art, now in J land, commenting that some
repeaters would not work with SSIDs greater than 9, ie only single digit.
Is that still an issue? I don't believe so but maybe it still is.
BTW, it is good to see some more stations on hf.
Cheers
Ron
vk4ags