[OZAPRS] HF MOBILE beaconing, food for thought.

Richter, Mike W Michael.Richter at team.telstra.com
Thu Jul 8 22:41:55 EST 2004

I have looked at the IPS Hourly Area Predictions from IPS
http://www.ips.gov.au/Main.php?CatID=6
<http://www.ips.gov.au/Main.php?CatID=6&SecID=1&SecName=Australasia&SubSec
ID=1&SubSecName=HAP%20Charts&LinkName=Daily%20HAP%20Charts>
&SecID=1&SecName=Australasia&SubSecID=1&SubSecName=HAP%20Charts&LinkName=D
aily%20HAP%20Charts

For an HF Gate in Alice Springs, at this time of year for 10Megs  (Eastern
Standard Time)
 - from 10.00-18.00 the skip zone will reach out about 900km from the HF
Gate, reducing to 500, then reaching 900 again.
 - from 20.00-08.00 the skip zone covers all of Australia

for 7 Megs  (Eastern Standard Time)
- from 10.00-18.00 the skip zone will reach out about 300km from the HF
Gate.
- from 00.00-08.00 the skip zone covers all of Australia

For short distance communications throughout the night, you would have to
go down to 2MHz.

So a 40m HF Gate would help provide coverage for those travelling in
winter between 18.00 and midnight.

Mike VK2BMM