aprs.net.au DNS swapover

Geoff ggatward at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 20 07:55:10 EST 2004

Guys,

Can we set up a CNAME entry for  first.aprs.net.au  and point it to
aprs.net.au   (Even if we do end up joining tier2, domestically our
servers
will still be unique)

Phil has contacted me about this as well and I wanted to hold off doing
anything until we sorted out the stability issues we were having.

I was thinking along the lines of having ONE server in tier2,  but if it
means changing ports around we would need to implement this on all our VK
core, and join them all to tier2.

I wonder if the 'standard' ports list would include the addition of the VK

and ZL feed ports to the rest of tier2 as well (That would provide a great

deal of redundancy for us)

second.aprs.net.au would have a connection limit imposed on the non-vk
ports, since I can't really let second.aprs.net.au's bandwidth usage
increase too much further - it shares our corporate office link and has
been
allowed to remain since its throughput is 'lowish'.
Of course the users and connected Igates will need to change config - not
hard job, but annoying.....

I've got no problems with the idea - if everyone is in agreement.

What are your thoughts?

Geoff