[OZAPRS] UPDATE on VK3 APRS Network Design

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Sep 26 23:12:52 EST 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Darryl Smith wrote:

> To say that APRS is a LOCAL activity ONLY is incorrect.

I think what we are saying is that on a single 1200 baud RF channel,
APRS can only serve a local area reliably as it is currently used.

> There are local parts, and global parts.

AMEN!  And so all we have to do is use the right PATH appropriate to the
need.  We can even improve the RF part by gateways, wormholes and
backbones if that is what people want to do.  But if all they want to do
is fire up on the single APRS VHF 1200 baud freq, then their expectations
should either be LOCAL on RF or be via the IGates for the rest...

Bob