[OZAPRS] UPDATE on VK3 APRS Network Design

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Fri Sep 26 15:26:03 EST 2003

People

Personally I find that morse code on our airwaves is a total waste of the
bandwidth. I also cannot understand the pre-occupation with the ham
community with HF communications... Haven't people in the ham world ever
heard of a Cell Phone... For that matter I believe that the worked all
bands
awards should be for 50 MHz and above... Anything below is just baseband
junk.

But regardless of my personal views I know that some people love HF and
MORSE. That is their right.

To say that APRS is a LOCAL activity ONLY is incorrect. There are local
parts, and global parts. Did you know that APRS is used to forcast the
weather... Using the IGATE functionality. Hams arround the world send
their
wireless weather station data to NOAA using the IGATE system to be used
for
forcasting. Non-hams telnet their data into the IGATE system. The numbers
are currently about 600 of each globally.

I may be wrong, but I am sure that one of the reasons that Ham Radio
exists
is to extend the state of the art. Saying things like 'Lets keep it simple
and...' SHOULD NEVER BE SAID IN RESPECT TO HAM RADIO. It is difficult to
reconcile how keeping something simple can be extending the state of the
art.

For all means debate this issue, but IGATES are not going to go away.

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
Darryl at radio-active.net.au | www.radio-active.net.au