[OZAPRS] aprsd215

VK5UJ - Joseph Burford joe at vk5uj.com
Sun Mar 30 22:39:55 EST 2003

Tony,

>I wont enter into the 145.175 discussion as its all be said apart from
the
>fact of Igate Looping or whatever you would like to call it..

Yes the path from RMB to Mildura is reasonably likely to be an issue with
igate traffic, as would be some of the Adelaide to Mount Gambier paths if
they come over. But there are a couple of steps that can be taken to
minimise traffic looping via igates.

Firstly if Ron was beaconing traffic out locally via a digi he could
specify the path and it wouldn't get further relayed by 5RMB. ie. VK3ECV
via VK3WRM as opposed to beaconing igate packets VK3ECV via WIDE3-3.

If it did become an issue from our side we can send igate posits via a
specific local path. vk5brc, vk5rne, vk5rmb vk5rsc etc etc..

Thirdly the dupe checking on second.aprs.net.au appears to work very well,
especially when two stations from an area are pumping the same info into
the APRS IS.

I watched it for about an hour last weekend when a local was gating from
RF
to the net as well as the local igate. Relatively few packets were being
duped.

Anyway there is lots to be aware of, but I'd encourage Ron to get
something
going in Mildura and that includes getting a good digi going.

We will adapt accordingly :-) No point not doing things because of whatifs
!!

Cheers all,

Joe VK5UJ