[VK2-APRS] APRS at the annual Wyong Field Day

Darryl Smith darryl at radio-active.net.au
Wed Feb 26 08:47:50 EST 2003

People

I would like to take this oportunity to all those who were able to help
with getting the display for Wyong last weekend happening, both
beforehand and also helping out during the event. For those that are not
aware, the Wyong field day is probably the largest field day in the
Southern Hemisphere with thousands of attendees.

Numbers were probably slightly down thanks to the final breaking of the
drought (A month ago we had major bushfires. Now we are having
floods)...  Meaning that the flea market was very wet at times. There
were not as many people selling in the flea market as previous years
because of this.

The APRS stand was under cover in a protected corner meaning that we
were able to stay away from all the bad weather, apart from some wind.
We set up a portable iGate at the stand, on a dial up internet link -
and had something like 14 RF stations at the event at one stage. The
weather station was a real hit thanks to the weather. We had my
AntiTracker on display, and moving map of the area on UI-View, and a
demo of OziAPRS too... Next year we need more physical objects, such as
TinyTrak kits to sell...

It was great to meet everyone there... Tony Langdon VK3JED from
Melbourne came up and it was good to finally meet him.

We gave out about 100 APRS brochures - labeled the APRS Cheat Sheet -
and we actually ran out. We could have done with another 50 of them...
The version online is on
http://www.radio-active.net.au/web/gpsaprs/aprscheatsheet.pdf. I also
gave out about 30 TAPR brochures... And could have given out more. I did
attempt to sign up Dave VK2KFU, but was informed he was already a member
:-)

At the last minute we decided to lend some space to Jamie Lovelock from
the Australian Wireless Association - another of the community wireless
organisations... This was only done because of the rain, and allowed
people to cross-polenate between the 802.11 and the APRS comunities...

Once again, thanks to all those who helped, and lets see what we can do
next year.

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
Darryl at radio-active.net.au | www.radio-active.net.au