[OZAPRS] TVI

Chris Hill chris.hill at crhtelnet.com.au
Sat Dec 13 19:15:22 EST 2003

Hi Hamish,

If you pad the Network Analyser's RF Out with a 20dB attenuator, and again
pad the RF In with another 20dB, the network analyser will barely see any
impedance mismatch at all.

The notch frequency is obvious though!  Interesting to take a look at the
frequency response swept from DC to 1GHz...  you can see the notches at
145,
435 and 725MHz.

Once you can cut a quarter wavelength of 75 Ohm coax accurately, try
placing
two quarter-wave stub-based notch filters on the line, separated by
exactly
quarter of a wavelength.  Attenuation is greater than 60dB!

I modelled this on Puff many years ago (~ 1993? ).  At that time, I made
the
3 pole version for installation in a next-door neighbour of another VK6
who
was causing massive TVI when his 2m and 70cm array was directed right at
the
neighbour's TV antenna, as he uplinked to UO-14, UO-22, KO-23 etc on 2m.
100W into a 22 element yagi, at a range of 4m, caused absolutelyt no TVI
after the filter was fitted.

Very interesting, and very satisfactory;  I find such a simple, yet
effective, solution to be quite elegant.

Glad it was of some use.

73 Chris vk6kch