[OZAPRS] HF line in the sand

Ron Perry ronk at sunlinux.com.au
Fri Dec 5 18:30:35 EST 2003

Hi Gang,

Brian Beamish wrote:
> Hey! maybe you should ask everyone first, we have at present only two
30m HF
> Gateways has anyone considered asking the SysOps if they actually want
and
> am prepared to move?

Why ask?  The International Frequency is allocated. Any one not
conforming to that is on there own.

Ask and you *wont* get consesus.  True :-)

And if you don't have a decision now to move then it will end up like
the VK3 and the National VHF Frequency.  All to hard to change later.

People will put Xtal locked HF rigs on HF ARPS..and the cost to change
will be too great.

> Why all the obsession of moving to the extreme edge of the band anyway?
>
> Your answer might be that we want to be on the international frequency
if so
> please tell me when you last copied or even heard international APRS
traffic
> there?

It doesn't matter whether anybody has heard International APRS signals
or not. No doubt there will be ZL P29 and YB APRS at a later date, so
wouldn't it be better if there was some standardization?

And we, and they, wont have as much interference from other non-APRS
signals, if we do standardize.

> I tell you what if we had all those stations making comments about 30M
HF
> APRS over the past week actually operating there we could really say we
had
> a 30m APRS Network.

No we wouldn't.  It would only cover a small part of VK. But it would be
nice if you could travel thru the centre to Darwin being tracked
wouldn't it?  :-)

> The two HF 30M Gateways that I am aware of are VK3MY and VK4DMI the only
> regular 30m mobile station that I am aware of is myself VK4BBS.

The number of, and who they are is irrelevant to the arguement.
Using the "we were here first" is the reason the VK VHF APRS network is
split, because some BBS packet operaters didn't want to move to
144.900MHz.

If there is a question to be asked, then the question is "Why should we
not comply with the International APRS Frequency?"

Just my initial thoughts.
Flames welcome.  :-)

Me thinks now I must be listenning on the wrong frequency. :-)
Regards,
Ron
vk3ecv