[OZAPRS] APRS sat settings

vk2tv aprs at exemail.com.au
Fri Nov 11 11:24:20 AEDT 2022

Are there any satgates within 100km of Sydney that would cause a problem
for their "local" stations? In my years of running a satgate I don't
remember logging very many Sydney stations through ISS, PSAT, Bricksat,
et al. The stations I usually gate are in vk5, vk3, vk4, vk1 and zl, and
all a long way from here, making me a non-"threat" :) One exception is
VK2EVB in Coffs Harbour (100+km) whom I can't hear direct.

The path "VIA=ARISS,SGATE,WIDE2-1" certainly doesn't create issues other
than it makes the packet longer which "might" make it more vulnerable to
not being decoded. If that path works for any particular individuals,
use it.

As for HF aprs I fully endorse the value of using 30m, for those whose
licence permits it. I ran 30m aprs for a number of years when out on the
farm, logging aprs stations from all over Oz, Europe, the Caribbean and
down near Antarctica. I also had a 40m port for aprs, and I tried 20m
too - three separate rigs. 20m was a dead loss with a dipole antenna,
and 40m was way too noisy - atmospheric. My site noise was always S0.
Prior to turning to 30m aprs I ran a HF BBS and 30m walked all over 20m
and 40m for reliability for Oz paths. The down side to 30m is that it
tends to be somewhat unreliable and unpredictable for distances less
than about 500km, that finding after considerable years of BBS and aprs
service.

A bit OT for the topic, but relevant to the conversation for best HF
performance: to enhance the success rate of HF packet (including aprs),
keep packets short. Parameters such as maxframe, paclen and frack
settings are not what one would use on VHF, and "better suited" values
make a world of difference on HF.
maxframe - use 1.  Better to get one packet through than to lose 2 or more!
paclen - maximum of 64 but preferably 32 or 48.   Same rationale as above!
frack - use 13 seconds.   This one made the world of difference. A
typical VHF setting of 3 to 7 seconds would retry out, almost
predictably when the band was noisy or badly affected by phase
distortion. Longer frack time didn't eliminate those issues but did
provide a better "buffer" against their effects.

Consider setting a txtail value (try 200mS and adjust as necessary) to
ensure the end of the data stream isn't cut off by a tx dropping off
before the packet has been cleared. I had zilch success on HF without
some txtail time.

The channel access parameters listed were arrived at courtesy of
Flexnet, the German packet software from the 90s, that dynamically
auto-set the parameters listed above, and it was Flexnet that repeatedly
arrived at those figures that served me well for some years, long after
I shifted the system to Linux and kernel ax25.

HTH

Ray vk2tv