[OZAPRS] propagation today

Ray aprs at exemail.com.au
Mon Jun 14 13:48:36 AEST 2021

On 14/6/21 1:05 pm, Liz wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 08:20:48 +1000
> Ray <aprs at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I wasn't particularly looking yesterday but for ADS-B I "saw" one
>> plane in excess of 450km to the south of me and that's unusual, I
>> normally run out of range around 350km in that direction. I regularly
>> see 500km+ over the Pacific but not to the south.
>>
>> Pretty much whenever a low pressure trough pushes against a high
>> pressure system there'll be enhanced propagation somewhere towards
>> the high.  The classic is a high over the Tasman Sea, between Oz and
>> NZ, and a low trough in western Victoria. That happens frequently and
>> I see aircraft over the Pacific to 600km+ at those times, well beyond
>> normal range.
>>
>> The attachment is timed 00:00 yesterday (Sunday) and if that high and
>> low system was rotated 90° CW I'd expect some sort of enhancement
>> over the Pacific.  I'm a lot less familiar with inland systems,
>> however.
>>
>> Ray vk2tv
> I haven't had anything special on my ADS-B in the last 24 hours. For
> superb VHF propagation I like a high pressure system sitting overhead
> but I haven't checked where the lows sit at the same time.
>
> Liz
> VK2XSE

My ADSB if fairly normal today but I don't see anything unusual about
the current weather systems' locations. Maybe system patterns behave
differently away from the coast. I do remember a temperature inversion
over Mt Canobolas many years ago that resulted in 2m openings from the
east coast of NSW to the Adelaide area and many places in between.

Ray vk2tv