[OZAPRS] 30m APRS situation

Graeme graeme at abrona.com.au
Fri Jul 2 11:47:47 AEST 2021

I disagree with the approach that HF beacons shouldn't be digipeated.
Hearing a digipeated packet whilst mobile provides evidence that the
packet has been heard and therefore likely to have been igated but also
implies that an aprs message is likely to be heard and igated.  While
travelling in the skip zone for VK2HFG-4 in south-western NSW I can
sometimes assume that at least VK7HSE-4 has heard my beacons because I
hear VK7HSE-4's own beacons whereas when not in VK2HFG-4's skip zone I
usually hear its digi'd packets even though another station such as the
RX-only VK5ARG-3 igate may have igated the packet first. As a bonus, if
VK2HFG-4's internet connection which is via fixed wifi then 2 microwave
links before getting to fibre is unavailable then the digipeated packet
could be heard by another igate when no other igate heard the original
packet.

A couple of HF mobile stations are using GATE,WIDE2-1 as the path in
their beacons which isn't logical as the packet won't be digipeated,
which might be the intention or perhaps the operators are under the
impression that WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 cannot be used, although just WIDE1-1
should suffice.  However as many of their beacon intervals are very
short perhaps it's just as well they're not being digipeated.  Note that
aprs.fi doesn't count igated packets in station statics where the path
was GATE.

Graeme VK2HFG