[OZAPRS] Receive only iGates

Bradley Clayton bradley at squarepolka.com
Wed Jan 27 21:58:16 AEDT 2021

Hi Norm, Liz and Graeme

Thank you for your comments and encouragement!

I don’t foresee any risks like transmitting loops but thought I’d just check with those who’ve played in this space already :)

Norm, it sounds like your setup is very similar to mine, currently Direwolf on a laptop computer. I’d like to move mine to a Pi and also implement a ‘full service’ as you did, if it proves valuable in my area.

Liz, that’s right, I’m in the Brunswick area which has some Digipeater coverage if I’m on the roof of my double story unit but I’ve not been able to get any packets to traverse the network from ground level.

Graeme, thanks for your point, too. I found that the APRS-IS code is open source and you can see the code that implements exactly what you describe - there can be multiple paths to stations via I-gates. So an RX only I-gate won’t restrict messages going back to a station if it’s been heard by other RX/TX I-gates. If you’re interested it’s on line 2467 here: https://github.com/hessu/aprsc/blob/f8824e85f7d67661bd90fbbf0929aa1a9c4a947a/src/filter.c

Thanks again,

Brad