[OZAPRS] What moving map software do you use ?

Liz liz at billiau.net
Sun Apr 18 16:28:23 AEST 2021

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 14:41:32 +1000
Carlos PECO BERROCAL <carlos.peco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried APRSdroid in a tablet and found that the icons are really
> small to be seen while driving (I'm not inclined to take the eyes
> from the road for more than a second).
> It works really well here on the couch, though.
>
> What do you use while on the move?
> Ideally, I'm after something that displays other station's locations
> and their tracks, in a chunky, large and easy to see format, fed with
> waypoints from the radio (for out of the grid operation).
>
> I have both Android and Windows10 tablets.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Carlos VK1EA

I did use Xastir on an original Eeepc but found the entire system
more complex than worthwhile between computer, radio, 3G connection.
There were many points of failure. I could of course use any maps I
liked and converted Geoscience Australia files to display. Like any
program which has many options, it is very tedious to set up exactly
how you want it to work.

My current desire is to get the Leaf to send its data out to the home
server via 4G and the home server to supply the data to the iGate. Even
this has become more complex as I have started accumulating the
hardware. The incredibly cheap mediatek tablet does have a GPS but it
won't work without rooting the device. I also was making sure that it
didn't understand "send all data to Google" and this has not been easy.
Currently it doesn't send any, because it doesn't have a SIM card :)

Liz
VK2XSE