[OZAPRS] Anyone use the X1c5 plus APRS portable Tracker?

Allen Lord allen at byonics.com
Tue Oct 6 12:23:47 AEDT 2020

Serge,

I am somewhat biased in this regard ( I manufacturer the Micro-Trak line of
products for Byonics) and I think the X1c5 is very cute ( I think it is
essentially a Sainsonic S510 with a display) but my experience leads me to
believe that most people will be frustrated using a 1 Watt transmitter for
any other application than airborne. Terrestrial operation of a 1 Watt
packet transmitter is usually going to be very frustrating. (Our 50 Watt
transmitters and our 40 Watt transceivers are our best selling products in
Australia, and there are places on this planet where brute force is the key
to success!) I experimented with a Sainsonic, and I had the same experience
with configuration and understanding Chinese as you probably did, but I
finally did make it work. My best results came when I used it mobile with a
Comet SBB25, 5/8ths wave, 2 meter-only antenna, but found the rubber duck
to be nearly useless. Trying to add an outboard amplifier to it made the
unit lose its mind...it went into continuous reset mode.

73,

Allen R. Lord AF6OF
VHS/Byonics