[OZAPRS] Do RX only igates break APRS messaging?

Damien Gardner vk2tdg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 06:48:42 AEDT 2018

Hey Dave,

The 'APRS Servers' don't route anything, unless something's changed in one
of the newer daemons.  They're just relaying a simple text based string to
all connected stations (with some caveats around filters based on the TCP
port stations are connected to), for each packet on the network.  They're
not really even aware that they're handling an AX-25 payload (As evidenced
by all the malformatted D-star crap being relayed with invalid SSID's).
It's the i-gates and digipeaters that are actually doing the routing.

If you send a message from one station to another, and it ends up on the
internet stream, it will only end up back out on RF, if it hits an i-gate
that has HEARD the destination call, and that i-gate has TX capability.  If
the destination station has been heard by multiple TX-capable i-gates, then
the message will be relayed by multiple i-gates. Just like it might travel
multiple paths from the i-gate to the destination, so duplicate handling
kicks in on the receiver anyway :) (DUP! on my D7 :) )

Cheers,

DG