[OZAPRS] New Proposed APRS Digi for Adelaide - ideas?

Grant Willis vk5gr at bigpond.com
Tue Jul 24 06:37:45 AEST 2018

Folks,

It has long been an idea of mine to see a high site digipeater on the top of
the Adelaide Hills around Mt Lofty / Crafers / Summertown to provide broad
area metro RF coverage. Adelaide has many I-Gates but the one RF digi we
have for the Adelaide plains isn't well sited for that role (VK5RHO) and
coverage in the Western and inner SW/SE suburbs has been poor since VK5TTY
lost it's site a few years ago.

An opportunity has now arisen to install a machine at the long time licensed
but never activated (on APRS) VK5RSB site at Summertown using the VHF
antennas that have now been installed for the temporary VK5RAD 2m repeater
(while it's tower was being refurbished).

Thanks to Glen 1XX I have obtained a TAIT radio. I have also dug out of the
old SAPUG stores the Tiny-2 TNC that used to run the VK5RAD ROSE node which
has a DCD State Machine built in (allowing open mute operation).

However, before I glue the hardware together in a case, I would like some
suggestions please on the following:

1)      If I stick with the Tiny-2 TNC what EPROM software do people suggest
is best for APRS these days? (version, download source etc please?)

2)      If I don't stick with the Tiny-2 (depends on how serviceable it is)
what alternatives do people suggest for the digital side that are
bulletproof and fit the KISS principle?

The site will be a plain WIDE2-2 digipeater - no internet connectivity.

Regards,

Grant VK5GR