[OZAPRS] aprs.fi

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Wed Jul 18 21:00:29 AEST 2018

If you were on twitter you would have access to the author of aprs.fi

Here you go

For some time this morning, Google Maps on aprs.fi displayed a pop-up saying "This page can't load Google Maps correctly". That's now fixed (it was just a simple configuration glitch), but there is a bit of a risk that aprs.fi will be unavailable for some time in the near future, due to the new pricing scheme of Google Maps API, and the (at least temporary) loss of a larger free use quota. I might possibly start getting a 4000-5000€ monthly bill, which is a bit difficult to deal with.

Before everyone yells "hey, just switch to OSM", remember that it's not so simple, as OSM only provides the raw map data, not the PNG graphic tiles (you're not allowed to download them from their tile servers all the time) and the switch to another Javascript mapping API such as Leaflet is quite a lot of work.

Full story (read before commenting): https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/aprsfi/iXm72OZ0ML8/GTfaAXB-CAAJ

Sent from my iPad