[OZAPRS] new modem

David Giddy david at vk3il.net
Sat Feb 3 20:27:10 AEDT 2018

Glenn,

OK, thanks. Happy to wait. I'm pleased you are helping move APRS into the
21st century - I think the approach you are taking has lots of interesting
possibilities down the track.

Glenn VK3YY and I were discussing this week as we hiked to The Viking the
potential for such an approach to enable a light weight back-pack portable
HF tracker which would be of great use to us SOTA activators when we get
out into the mountains where VHF coverage is very limited.

As you noted, the encoder has very limited computing requirement and
building a small 30m transmitter as a plug on to a RPi Zero putting out a
couple of watts seems quite achievable. Couple that with heavily loaded 30m
tape measure whip antenna would hopefully work. EIRP will be very low, but
with a reasonable spread of gateways, may actually prove usable. I've been
quite impressed with the ability of 30m 300 baud to be heard from deep
within mountain valleys (see may spots over the last few days when Glenn
and I were in the Alpine National Park).

73

David
VK3IL

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 7:56 PM, Glen English VK1XX <
glenlist at pacificmedia.com.au> wrote:

> Hi David
>
> No integration with dire wolf right now. But close.
>
> I will have a gateway set up here next week on two bands, 80 and 30.
>
> it will be in the same freq segments as the 300 baud packet
>
> I have ordered some more ODroids to deploy onto a couple of amateur's
> properties with HF radios  for gateways, will be on some time this month I
> expect.
>
> In the meantime I will let the system mature just a little more before
> adding you into the beta program
> 73
>

> On 3/02/2018 4:25 PM, David Giddy wrote:
>
>> Hi Glenn,
>>
>> I'd be interested to give it a try on my RPi3 in the car. Does it
>> currently integrate with Direwolf, or is it stand alone (I haven't followed
>> all the development emails) ?
>> Are you going to run a gateway to test it against? If so, what frequency?
>>
>> 73
>>
>> David
>> VK3IL
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 8:57 PM, Glen English VK1XX <
>> glenlist at pacificmedia.com.au <mailto:glenlist at pacificmedia.com.au>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     new modem....
>>
>>     I have a built package now for the modem, that does all the
>>     prerequistite installs, fiddles to the groups, permissions,
>>     rtprio, packages etc, full install , confs and test programs in
>>     makefile....
>>
>>     Who else wants a go with it ? I will accept a couple more.
>>
>>     linux Debian or derivative , Alsa  required. some ability with
>>     Linux required obviously.
>>
>>     PC x86  (32 bit)  or ARMv7(32) ARMv8 (64) platforms
>>
>>     might work on AMD64 . works on ARM64 so.....

>> --
>>
>> 73
>>
>> David
>> VK3IL