[OZAPRS] High Altitude Balloons

Mark Jessop lenniethelemming at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 09:09:33 AEDT 2017

That would have been a Project Horus writeup - Matt (VK5ZM) and I (VK5QI)
are both members, and were involved in that writeup :-)

Lots to think about when doing a high altitude balloon launch:
- Authorization from CASA
- Flight path predictions (i.e. how to know when *not* to launch! -
http://predict.habhub.org/ )
- Balloons, helium, lift calculations, etc ( http://habhub.org/calc/ )

and then of course...
- Radio tracking (be it via APRS, RTTY or something else).
- Mapping of balloon flight paths (http://tracker.habhub.org/ is much nicer
than aprs.fi - it will do flight path predictions during the flight!)
- How to actually chase a balloon and get to the landing site before the
payload does :-)
- Mapping the balloon flight path without an internet connection (hint:
https://github.com/projecthorus/oziplotter )

... unfortunately I need to head off to work, and I can't easily answer
emails to this list from my phone.

I've been slowly working on write-ups for a lot of the above bits. The
mapping side of things is mostly covered by the OziPlotter documentation
linked above. The 'how to chase' bit is still to come...

73
Mark VK5QI