[OZAPRS] VK2RHR-1 raw

Peter VK2MPJ vk2mpj at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 16 19:38:17 AEDT 2017

> On 16 Nov 2017, at 7:17 pm, Liz <liz at billiau.info> wrote:
>
> QTR Thu, 16 Nov 2017 17:26:53 +1100 Peter VK2MPJ QTC
>
>> If your local TX iGate is configured correctly, you should still see
>> the traffic. It’ll just come from the APRS-IS not direct via the
>> original RF.
>
> The only data I put from TCP-IP onto RF is my weather (and that's
> because of lazy programming). Other stuff to me is filling up the
> spectrum. I have put data from within a ?200km range onto RF in the
> past and choose not to now.

Your iGate is fine Liz. Later on when the Riverina is rejigged, we’ll sort out who’s iGate does what (for those who are willing :) )

>> Don’t forget, the region paths should really only apply to fixed
>> stations. Mobiles should still be WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 (or 2-2 if they
>> must), as if they used regional paths, they would not be digi’d if
>> they travelled outside their local area.
>>
>> Pete
>> 2MPJ
>
> So imagine I'm driving south from home to the Vic border. I'd like to
> know when I'm in range of the next voice repeater, and I look for this
> info on an APRS packet advertising the transmitter. Will such packets
> be digipeated or not when its across a state border?

Yes, if configured correctly, the local repeater objects you are referring to will still be there.
But keep in mind, objects should ideally be only broadcast in the local are and not usually digipeated.
That is their path should be NOCALL so only local area receives the packet (including the iGate, which will then send the object to APRS-IS).
Generally this works well as the object can be generated by the digi itself (which is how the 146.750 object here in Wagga is generated)

2MPJ