[OZAPRS] VK3WRM - iGate / Messaging

Mathew McKernan mathew at mmckernan.id.au
Wed Nov 8 11:34:13 AEDT 2017

Hi all,

Not sure who the operator of the Mildura iGate VK3WRM but I think I may have found a problem with messaging via it. I am using VHF rather than APRS-IS as occasionally there is no phone reception.

I've been on a houseboat for the past week beaconing away as we float up the Murray (side note, awesome country!).

I've had a friend in NSW that I was messaging. The messages I send make it to him, but any replies or ACK messages do not make it back to me.

At a guess, I think the iGate isn't caching who it has gated into the IS network and therefore it isn't transmitting anything back out to the VHF network. It does beacon itself on VHF as normal, so I can fairly certain it isn't a Receive only gate.

Any ideas or am I missing some understanding of how this is meant to work?

Thanks,

Matty

VK3MJM