[OZAPRS] RGI digi too big a coverage ?

Josh vk2hff at vk2hff.ampr.org
Mon Nov 6 11:40:11 AEDT 2017

My opinion: just set it up as a plain W2 digi. That's how it was set up
previously wasn't it?

The Canberra traffic won't make it into Sydney due to RHR being a
W1-only, and there's not a great deal of APRS traffic anywhere else
within range so it shouldn't cause any congestion issues providing you
keep the power level sensible.

The primary objective of APRS is RF coverage - just getting a packet
into APRS-IS is not enough. Having RGI ignore a packet just because RBM
heard it is not a good idea, that would effectively isolate Canberra's
APRS traffic for no valid reason.

- Josh VK2HFF