[OZAPRS] SatGate around VK7?

Josh vk2hff at vk2hff.ampr.org
Sat Dec 9 11:18:57 AEDT 2017

Construction was based on this design:
http://umarca.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/project-8-turnstile-antenna-for-weather.html
but dimensions scaled for 145MHz.

I used 75 ohm coax for the delay line as per
https://www.digitalham.co.uk/turnstile-antenna/ - again scaled for 145MHz.

SWR is about 1.15:1 at 145.825 which was an absolute fluke and had me
convinced for a while that my SWR meter was broken.

Its fed with about 10m of RG58 and was initially connected to an RTL-SDR
via an $8 ebay LNA running off 5v to limit the gain.

Then I switched to a Kenwood TR-2400 1.5w HT that's almost as old as me,
via a Digitor D-2510 amplifier. That combination produces about 7w which
is ample for getting into ISS and NO-84 with this antenna - but the HT's
1.5w was not enough by itself.

Using the SDR it also works great as a Wx antenna, with good reception
down to just a few degrees above the horizon.

- Josh VK2HFF