[OZAPRS] Grounding of HF Antenna for APRS

vk2tv vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Dec 4 13:30:14 AEDT 2017

Don't forget that a 1.4m whip on 30m will have a Zo <<50 ohms and the
closer the VSWR is to 1:1, without utilising a matching network, the
higher the system losses which make it "look" like a good match. A 25
ohm antenna in a perfect world will have a VSWR of 2:1 for 50 ohm coax.

Old ARRL, et al, handbooks suggest resonating the antenna with a GDO
(I'm old school although mine uses a FET) and then take care of the
matching with a LC network. Having said that, I've always tuned the
antenna for VSWR and ignored the losses. Scalar used to manufacture a HF
antenna base that contained a 2:1 transformer to improve efficiency. Did
they work? Haven't a clue.

FWIW a base loaded antenna exhibits lower Zo than one with the coil up
higher. A centre-loaded whip with a capacity hat used to feature in ham
handbooks as a means to improve efficiency. I've used both centre-loaded
(no hat) and continuously wound HF whips, and if there was a difference
in performance I didn't notice it.

Ray vk2tv