[OZAPRS] FT8 for HF APRS ?

Glen English VK1XX glenlist at pacificmedia.com.au
Sat Dec 2 11:24:39 AEDT 2017

Hi Mark

Yeah no need to preserve AX25 frame precisely agreed, just need to be
interface compatible.  I've got a few HF modems up my sleeve, most
require *some* linearity in the PA, so maybe just move to nFSK /single
tone this tends to be more tolerant to bad setup...especially when the
aim is to share the nearby spectrum. With the single tone modes, if they
are kept >1400Hz in the microphone input, the overdriving distortions
usually don't get through the SSB filter...

And Andrew, most microcontrollers can execute reasonable modems these
days, there is enough grunt, there is a blur between general purpose
microcontrollers and dedicated DSPs. Where help is required is on the
decode side for the FEC, especially with large frame sizes (which yields
greater "coding gain") , For a signal sense mode, it only has to detect
the presence of a signal, not fully decode it. For decoders, things like
Odroids and other small linux boxes make excellent demods.