[OZAPRS] FT8 for HF APRS ?

vk4tec at tech-software.net vk4tec at tech-software.net
Sat Dec 2 10:57:06 AEDT 2017

8 PSK carriers

Ok 9 – the 9th is a clock

8 bits in parallel

To avoid fading

Andrew

From: OZAPRS [mailto:ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au] On Behalf Of vk4tec at tech-software.net
Sent: Saturday, 2 December 2017 9:54 AM
To: 'Australian APRS Users' <ozaprs at aprs.net.au>
Subject: Re: [OZAPRS] FT8 for HF APRS ?

VK4TEC,$GPRMC ……………………………….

What else do you need ?

Baloon RTTY

From: OZAPRS [mailto:ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au] On Behalf Of Mark Jessop
Sent: Saturday, 2 December 2017 9:51 AM
To: Australian APRS Users <OZAPRS at aprs.net.au <mailto:OZAPRS at aprs.net.au> >

FT8, JT65 and similar are far too restrictive for something like HF APRS. They are quite specifically designed for making short QSOs, not for passing of arbitrary data (though is is possible, in a limited sense). Take a look at the JT65 spec and you will see what I mean.

The concept of a MFSK-based mode with *good* FEC is still a good one though, but you'd probably be better off either rolling your own or starting from something like THOR or Olivia.

Would the AX25 packet format still need to stay? If you could drop that it would give a lot more flexibility...

73

Mark VK5QI/VK4

(Currently SW of Longreach...)