[OZAPRS] FT8 for HF APRS ?

Mark Jessop lenniethelemming at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 10:51:05 AEDT 2017

FT8, JT65 and similar are far too restrictive for something like HF APRS.
They are quite specifically designed for making short QSOs, not for passing
of arbitrary data (though is is possible, in a limited sense). Take a look
at the JT65 spec and you will see what I mean.

The concept of a MFSK-based mode with *good* FEC is still a good one
though, but you'd probably be better off either rolling your own or
starting from something like THOR or Olivia.

Would the AX25 packet format still need to stay? If you could drop that it
would give a lot more flexibility...

73
Mark VK5QI/VK4
(Currently SW of Longreach...)