[OZAPRS] OZAPRS Digest, Vol 94, Issue 3

Ian Mills vk2him at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 12:50:15 AEST 2017

> On 2 Aug 2017 08:59:41, Ian Mills Ray vk2tv wrote:

> True, but the aircraft FL has the most impact. For an antenna here (site
> location 8m ASL), mounted 1m AGL, the radio distance to a plane at FL
> 390 (12000m) is 455km. I only gain another 19km (to 474km) by raising
> the antenna to 30m AGL. Those figures are for my best direction, a
> virtually uninterrupted path to the Pacific Ocean. If I pick the reverse
> direction I'd be lucky to get 150km due to the Great Dividing Range
> rising 4000-5000ft just west of me. My antenna is currently inside,
> against a south facing window, and I see some aircraft, at around FL
> 350, out to around 250-350km to the east. Other directions only serve to
> prove how much attenuation bricks and mortar, and a great lump of hill
> have at 1090MHz!
> Ray vk2tv

I feed FR24 from just south of Wollongong NSW - my antenna is on the roof on a mast with direct line of sight to the horizon. Coupled with an in-line 1090Mhz amplifier 1m from the antenna, I regularly get up to 350km with a handful beyond 370km - you're doing extremely well with an indoor antenna if you're getting 250-350km. I use planeplotter on a windows system to monitor my reception - here's a link to a screenshot that's updated every minute of my reception http://www.theshackbythebeach.com/planeplotter.jpg

In addition, I run the local Illawarra iGate and send Marine AIS data to aprs.fi

Cheers Ian vk2him