[OZAPRS] MICE usage

Paul Mullins pmullins at vk5vco.dyndns.org
Thu Sep 25 15:05:45 EST 2014

Hi there all,
I have a TT4 in the back of my car connected to a IC-1010, with a home /
witches brew volt volt cut out, it monitors the rear battery and just
turns off the TT4 and radio + GPS, in the program for the TT4 I heavily
use smart beaconing, setup right works well, then when I stop for a long
time it beacons a couple of times with-in the first 20 minutes, and then
if I have not moved after that there is only 6 - 9 beacons per hour as
it does not move, this works well in my case, and then the battery
slowly gets to the cut off point about 12.8 v then dead until I start
the car.

Now the TT4's do have a special feature in the software, just for this
sitting in one place not doing a thing, it looks at the GPS sentence
notes that it has not moved and swaps a pin high or low cant remember,
to find it you have to CLI into the TT4, it is also tied up with the
voltage set point, I know it is there got the writer to install it.

I feel a voltage drop out would do the job for him well, I have my drop
out set high otherwise you can hear it squawking at nights if the volume
is up on the radio, I have it set so I can just here it whilst driving,
its funny when you are driving around in the middle of nowhere and all
of a sudden you start hearing traffic.

I hope this gives an idea,

cheers all

Paul

On 25/09/2014 1:02 PM, Dom Dahl wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I wonder if VK2TGB-7 parks his vehicle in a garage and the GPS losses
> lock spasmodically.
>
> I know the most trackers have a setting to only transmit on valid GPS.
>
> On a different note why do you need to beacon every 2 minutes when
> stationary?
>
> Cheers
>
> Dom
>
> VK2TGB-7 tends to jump around when stationary.
>
> Actually look at http://aprs.fi/info/?call=VK2TGB-7
>
> over 14000 km ???
>
> Its getting worse as time progresses ?
>
> Gary
> vk2zbb
>
> On 25-Sep-14 07:28, Owen Duffy wrote:
>
>     Hi All,
>
>     Corruption is commonplace in APRS.
>
>     This morning, looking at VK2TGB-7 which has been stationary for the
>     entire 48 hour history in aprs.fi <http://aprs.fi> and has
>     beaconed every 2 minutes (yes,
>     that is 2880 beacons for a station which did not move, repeated by
>     several digis into the Sydney region and until recently, gated from
>     APRS-IS back to RF by VK2ASY in Orange so that it travelled back via
>     Orange, Ginini and Illawarra/Southern Highlands digs to the Sydney
>     region again). Until Monday, I would hear each those posits 4 or 5
>     times, so on average a VK2TGB-7 packet very 25-30s... if VK2ASY ceases
>     his gating of this stuff to RF, it is an average rate of one posit
>     every
>     60s (via Vk2RHR-1 and VK2AMW-1)... and yes, for a stationary tracker.
>
>     But, one posit in those 2880 is interesting:
>
>     2014-09-24 03:09:34 UTC: *VK2TGB-7
>     <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK2TGB-7>*>S3T2W3,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VK2NR-5
>     <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK2NR-5>:'N?9l <0x1c>>/ *[Duplicate
>     position packet]*
>     2014-09-24 03:11:34 UTC: *VK2TGB-7
>     <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK2TGB-7>*>S3T0W3,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VK2MB-1
>     <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK2MB-1>:'N?9l <0x1c>>/
>     2014-09-24 03:13:34 UTC: *VK2TGB-7
>     <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK2TGB-7>*>S3T2W3,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,VK2MB-1
>     <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK2MB-1>:'N?9l <0x1c>>/ *[Duplicate
>     position packet]*
>
>     The middle one is a most unlikey position change... exactly one
>     character in the MICE encoded position changed. If this occurred
>     in the
>     AX.25 link, it should have been detected by bad CRC and
>     discarded... so
>     it has happened in the tracker, or in the iGate / APRS-IS
>     infrastructure
>     (and it is a single bit error in that case).
>
>     I have noticed certain stations (including VK2MB) commonly figure in
>     corruptions whereas others don't so it points to those stations as
>     probable corrupters.
>
>     Perhaps APRSdroid is the future, it bypasses all the problems inherent
>     in radio links and flawed digis and iGates!
>
>     Owen

Me, Myself and I accepts no liability for the content of this E-Mail, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Me, Myself and I.

WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via E-Mail. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Me, Myself and I accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this E-Mail.