[OZAPRS] Desert trekking

Ian Bennett ibennett at tpg.com.au
Wed Sep 3 21:40:53 EST 2014

Hi Gordon,
	I'm replying to you directly as I have some things to say which are vendor specific.
	Have a look at the "OpenTracker" from Argent Systems. I was using them up until I decided to give
the TT series a go but to be honest, I'm going back to the OpenTrackers; especially now there is a
OT3-mini that does digipeating.
	My HF rig still has a OT buried inside.
	If nothing else, read the OT manuals; it will give you a better understanding of the nerd knobs in
the TT stuff. Byon's doco (and support!!) is terrible.
	At a guess, I'd say your slow rate beaconing is not set correctly (assuming you are using smart
beaconing). I use 2 min beacons when above 90Km/hr and 10 mins when under 5 Km/hr. I also have a
PICAXE controller that keeps the radios running for 30 mins after the car is switched off. This
ensures at least two beacons are sent before the radios (VHF and HF) are powered off.
	I also run the same SSID for both HF and VHF. Being a ex-military, track correlation is more
important to me than how the posit made it into the network. Most of the people who track me only
care about where I am; those that have the technical knowledge to care about "means" will look at
the path.

Ian
VK1IAN