[OZAPRS] UIDIGI 1.9 problem?

Owen Duffy owen at owenduffy.net
Wed Oct 15 21:03:22 EST 2014

On 15/10/2014 20:09, Liz VK2XSE wrote:
> QTR Wed, 15 Oct 2014 19:36:46 +1100 Owen Duffy QTC
>
>> If you insist that there is only one problem and it is theirs,
>
> This is not what I have done.
> It's my Club, too, and I have been talking with the Club first, and then
> here for more ideas.
Ideas:

The way UIDIGI works is that critical settings can and should be
programmed into the binary image that is burned into the EPROM.

You can also change settings through the monitor port, or over the air
(with authorisation). Those settings are held in battery backed memory.

When the battery goes flat, and the device loses power, it restarts with
the settings in EPROM.

A possible scenario is that the EPROM settings are for WIDE1, and they
have changed it and stored the settings in battery backed memory.
Battery fails, power fails and you are back to the EPROM settings.

It is not a good idea to depend on battery backed memory... but hams do
it not thinking that 10 year life batteries still go flat eventually.

Hope that helps you to understand what MAY have happened. If it is what
happened, the recovery is for an authorised person to connect to it, fix
the configuration, and to do that every time there is a power failure
until the battery is replaced, or better still, the EPROM is corrected.

73
Owen