[OZAPRS] [Fwd: Re: HF APRS]

VK5FO aprs at pilbara.com.au
Wed Feb 26 18:22:13 EST 2014

Ray,

The whole reason I got into APRS was for tracking of me when I was out
paddling!

I use 2 different trackers when out in the Kayak - a TT-AIO and my VX8-R.
The TT-AIO is a 10W tracker and the VX8-R is 5W.

With the TT-AIO, I simply add a line to it to secure it to the boat and
push it under bungee's on the deck.  With 8 AA batteries in this tracker,
running a 2 minute beacon, It lasts around 16 days of continual use
between charges (Yes, I forgot to turn it off and had it working for that
long).  It is truly a case of set and forget with the TT-AIO, whereas the
VX8-R on the big battery, It only lasts me about 10 hours between
charging/swapping Batteries.

It is a nice sealed waterproof box and all I need to do is to make sure
the seal is clean before closing.  In 4 years, never had a problem with
water ingress with it affixed to the deck.

My VX8, I just put into a pocket and tie it to my PFD, speaker mic with
the GPS in it on my shoulder.  More than once the speaker mic has fallen
off into the water and I have thoroughly tested the IPX7 waterproof
capabilities.

I have done in excess of 5,000km of paddling, both training and several
Marathons over the last 4 years and I have found that they both work well.

Yep, when paddling in a Marathon, it is good to know my Support crew can
keep tabs on my progress and have everything ready (hot food, drinks etc)
when I stop!

These days, I tend to use the VX8, and make use of 6M to talk back to my
land crew.

Both of these are off the shelf solutions and have worked well for me.

Matt's solution is of course very lightweight and seems to work pretty
well - Yep, paddled past said tracker on the back of Kayaks a few times
now :)

Cheers,
Bob
VK5FO