[OZAPRS] Digi question

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Fri Feb 21 09:41:40 EST 2014

3G Smart Fone ?

  _____

From: ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au [mailto:ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au] On
Behalf Of Ray Wells
Sent: Friday, 21 February 2014 9:22 AM
To: ozaprs at aprs.net.au
Subject: Re: [OZAPRS] Digi question

Hi All,

I've done some cut and paste on this and, thanks for the replies.

I had already looked at digi footprints (where they exist) and came to some
conclusions about coverage, but there's nothing like first-hand accounts.

1.
G'day Ray, there's nil coverage from Mt Gambier until about 20km west of
Hamilton by which time you should be able to go through the Mt William Digi.

Cheers,

Nik Presser
VK3BA

More or less what I expected.

2.

Ray,

You may be able to fill in big dead spots by using ARISS if the pass times
suit :-)

73,

Jack VK4JRC

I did think about ISS but not very practical this time around although I do
have 145.825 programmed into the two-channel Tait T500 and adding a switch
to the TT3+ to utilise the auxiliary configs wouldn't be rocket science.
Maybe less procrastination!!

3.
Hi Ray,

I found 2m coverage disappeared between Batemans Bay and Orbost. Around via
Wilsons Prom was patchy, but that's well off the Princes Hwy and away from
the digis.

Cheers,
Gerard - VK2IO

That kinda fits with what I concluded from digi footprints although I
wondered about brief paths from high locations/gaps in the hills sort of
stuff to provide the occasional "hit".

4.
Hi Ray, Keith VK2FKJA here and below a response from my son Trash VK2XSO

This is the guy who is responsible for getting my interest in APRS.

Ok... south of Batemans Bay there is no APRS coverage along the coast.
But once across the border into VK3 the coverage is excellent  all the way
to Mt Gambier.
There are a few patches near Portland, but otherwise its all pretty good.

I see a chain of command here Keith. It was me that got Trash interested in
aprs when I met him outside the TankFM studio in Kempsey a number of years
back. I really planted the seed, hi. Trash and I go back maybe a hundred
years or so in AR!!

I'll be going Great Ocean Road from Torquay to Portland so that might throw
more difficulty into the equation.

Last night my principal thinking chamber (my bed) provided the idea of using
wireless broadband for those difficult locations. According to Camps
Australia there is respectable 3G coverage around the coast so maybe my GPS,
3G dongle and a RPi, or nurse the laptop which already has xastir installed.
Much food for though, so little time to digest it.

30m is the way to go but it's not my car. The really difficult part,
however, is not getting permission from SWMBO, but how to mount an antenna,
the shape and body style of the vehicle (Hyundai ix35) being far from
friendly. The bonnet sides slope, ruling out a "Z" mount or similar and the
hatchback prevents mounting off the towbar, etc.

Thanks guys.

Ray vk2tv