[OZAPRS] HF APRS site

Paul Mullins pmullins at adam.com.au
Thu Feb 20 15:03:56 EST 2014

Hello all,
it has been a while for me to post anything useful but, currently we
have a fill-in digi-peater in South Australia in Elizabeth, this is
hosted by E.A.R.C ( Elizabeth Amateur Radio Club) of which I built and
installed many years ago, this one is on VHF, I have been asked if I
have thought about building a HF setup, this radio and modem wise is
easy I have spares.

Now with keeping it simple, we have been donated a surplus of old
codans, of which I have electronic manuals and about 3 -4 MFJ-1270B
modems left over, every buy and sell I buy them!

I was thinking of setting up in the water tower at the clubs local site
elevation is great, I have not done a site inspection for noise but that
will happen.
I am thinking of setting up on one or two of these bands 40 m (7036 LSB)
or 20 m (14109 LSB).

Now with the site if working is it a known correct way to treat the
packets to fed them back onto the VHF network or send if back to the
'internet' via other means, this is the 'bit' I am asking for the dumb
question, I want to set this up correctly and not upset anybody.

The reason why 40m and 20m is that people with out advanced licensing
can in fact get the packets in, currently I am one of these people with
a standard license.

I look forward to any ideas or comments.

Cheers and 73s'

Paul

VK5VCO