[OZAPRS] High Altitude balloon launch this weekend

Liz VK2XSE edodd at billiau.net
Sun Feb 9 10:03:36 EST 2014

QTR Sat, 8 Feb 2014 21:15:52 +1100 Andy Nguyen QTC

> Hi Ted it was the payload being driven home in the car and I forgot
> to turn off the digipeater :).
>
> The balloon reached a max altitude of 36789m and landed safely in a
> field.
>
> A big thank-you to all that helped tracking the balloon with RTTY and
> digipeaters!
>

> 73,
> Andy VK3YT

G'day Andy, good work there.
I see from my log that I started hearing you at about 3500m on the
ascent, and directly heard you down to about 4000m on the descent.
Not bad for a little transmitter to my antenna about 10m above ground
level.
VK2RGF which is above the plain started hearing the balloon at
1440m and couldn't hear it below 950m on the descent.
Radio wise it's a reasonable launch point, but Rankins Springs is
better for me as closer to home!