[OZAPRS] Problem with rotate.aprs.net.au address?

Geoff Gatward geoff-lists at gatwards.org
Tue Jan 8 11:05:07 EST 2013

Tony,

The aunz.aprs2.net is the regional rotate address for the Tier2 APRS
servers in the region, which as you see contains both AU and NZ servers.
This is the 'official' address to use these days for the round-robin
behaviour.

The aprs2.net rotate address pools are dynamic, and are made up of viable
servers based on their health and throughput. There are several metrics
that are monitored from all servers - including missing/dropped packets
counts.  If you are interested in the current health of the entire APRS
internet network, you can check   http://aprs2.net/mon.htm - this lists
which servers currently belong to each regional rotate pool as well as
their current loading and throughput.

All of the localised APRS-IS servers belong to the Tier2 network, however
in the early days before Tier2 existed we used the local
aprs.net.auaddresses, with our own rotate address - this does still
exist, however it
does not contain ALL of the available servers and should be considered as
depreciated.

All Tier2 servers globally have a common configuration, being user-defined
port 14580 - you can connect to ANY T2 server on the planet on port 14580,
define your filter and get the same feed.  There is a
rotate.aprs2.net address that will connect to ANY of the Tier2
servers.

The APRS network these days consists of the end users and iGates
(effectively Tier3) predominantly connecting to the Tier2 servers (aprs2.net).
 Tier2 itself is interlinked using 4 or 5 hub servers (T2HUBx).  These HUB
servers in turn uplink to the APRS Core servers (Tier1).  Services such as
aprs.fi are connected into Tier2, whilst findu I believe is still connected
to the core.

However, a lot of users still insist on connecting directly to the core
servers, resulting in them often being overloaded, and the result being
packets going missing (This was the reason for the Tier2 network in the
first place)

You can find more detail on the Tier2 network at  http://aprs2.net

Regards,
Geoff  VK8GG