[OZAPRS] Problem with rotate.aprs.net.au address?

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Mon Jan 7 20:02:10 EST 2013

Sorry folks I messed up the subject thread of this one before so Ive
attempted to get it right again.

Ive just tried using aunz.aprs2.net and I found that it actually logged me
into third.aprs.net.au at this time. You can see the status page as quoted
previously http://third.aprs.net.au:14501/ .Third is actually vk7hse
t2tas at aprs2.net

I just saw you before Grant logged in with vk5gr-1 with cumulus 1.9.2 on
second.aprs.net.au

I dont know exactly what uanz.aprs2.net is but it appears to be similar to
rotate.aprs.net.au in that if you do a nameserver lookup you get 5 separate
possible IPs that resolve

Name:    aunz.aprs2.net
Addresses:  203.31.7.24, 125.236.199.246, 150.101.108.109,
202.49.254.23,202.62.137.85
which is
T2QLD VK4FQ , T2APRSNZ ZL2TZE , third.aprs.net.au, first.aprs.net.nz,
second.aprs.net.au

The same lookup on rotate.aprs.net.au gives you
Name:    rotate.aprs.net.au
Addresses:  202.62.137.85, 150.101.108.109
which is second.aprs.net.au and third.aprs.net.au

You will see some commonality between these first 2

A Lookup of  Name:    rotate.aprs.net.nz reveals
Address:  125.236.232.235   which seems to be the same as aprs.net.nz

Clearly theres a lot more more options open to users of aunz.aprs2.net but
its no guarantee it would get you around a bottleneck between VK or ZL and
aprs.fi servers. Using aunz.aprs2.net would open up a heap more variables.
The different ISPs used by different server operators all have different
routes out of vk/zl . But perhaps its really up to the routes between the
Tier 2 servers and aprs.fi . If it is packet loss on the international
routes then it would need a bit of homework to find just where.

Tony Hunt VK5AH  wavetel at internode.on.net