[OZAPRS] APRS Idea?

Warren_Brown warbn at telstra.com
Sat Feb 2 14:21:50 EST 2013

Hi Paul,

As you mention managing traffic load on a single frequency system is quite
important.
The VK3 network is configured using the following principles;

The use of multiply receive only IGates allows users to keep their RF
transmission paths short, typically a radius of two digi's allows the locals
to see you are on-air and have you signal received by the local RX only
IGATE.

Appropriately placed TX IGate(s) allows the system administrators to manage
the traffic load to allow for maximum bandwidth.

To achieve this it requires all users of APRS to work within the guides
lines thus allowing all users the best chance to have their signal heard on
RF and passed to the local/nearest IGate.

Of course as this is only a hobby we rely on the good will of people to run
& maintain the Digis and IGates this often means compromises must be made to
the ideal arrangement.

73
Warren.