[OZAPRS] Raspbery Pi (RPi) Gateway

Matthew Cook vk5zm at bistre.net
Wed Sep 5 11:02:55 EST 2012

Hi Ray,

Looks like you and I are on the same path.  I've taken a slightly different
route with a Beaglebone (BB) and turned it into a remotely reconfigurable
aprs digi/igate.

For a radio/modem I used the T2-301 from argent data (5-8W output).  I've
got a Toko 25W FM amplifier in the output TX chain that I can command on
and bypass as required  For remote internet one of the Tel$tra USB modems
has worked nicely with the BB USB socket.

The key to this sort of project is the kernel and what options it had
enabled, then it's just a question of compiling the tools.  The BB has the
full AX25 stack compiled in by default in the Angstrom distribution.  Was a
doddle to rebuild the tools.  I'm using aprx for the digi.

The BB is only enabled when the iGate functionality is required, otherwise
the T2-301 can implement a basic digi on it's own.   I'm currently working
on a small arduino system to control the selection of iGate, APRS digi,
amplifier etc.  It will reprogram the T2-301 (turns KISS ON and OFF etc)
and turn things on and off as required, it sort of sits there between the
BB and T2-301 and listens for aprs commands (in KISS) or DTMF commands off
the aprs channel (DTMF is my last resort short of taking a drive).  It will
also implement the battery charging and protection mechanisms.   This has
been a work in progress for some weeks, will a large number of weeks of
writing code and testing to go before finished.

I'm aiming to keep the consumption to less than 45mA (average) for a solar
powered Digi and less than 100mA for the full iGate. This means with a 24AH
battery and 65W panel the system should keep itself alive with a 99.5%
uptime, with the digi enabled approx 85-95% with same battery and solar
panel.  Stick a 80W panel and up the battery to 36Ah and I cover the BB
requirement back up over 95%.

Look forward to hearing about your experiements and results with the RPi !

73's

Matthew
VK5ZM