[OZAPRS] Raspbery Pi (RPi) Gateway

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Wed Sep 5 09:37:10 EST 2012

Thanks Mark.

The latest on the project is that I had xastir running successfully so I
moved on to try something else. I was heading towards aprx; had it
installed and sorted the config file when along came dixprs, a
gateway/digi program written in Python, making it cross-platform.

I had dixprs running all night talking to aprsis. I've just added a TNC
and an Icom IC2A so it "should" now be operating as a rx only Igate.
I've yet to see traffic even though the DCD LED is reporting activity
and my other rx is hearing traffic. Might be a config issue to resolve -
something I'll deal with throughout the day.

dixprs keeps a database of information and sends (optionally) this as
telemetry to the aprsis each 15 minutes. Look at vk2tv-4 on aprs.fi.
Mention is made in the docs of munin, a program that creates wonderful
colour graphs of various aprs traffic. It installed just fine on the RPi
as a deb package but it needed up to near 80% of the processor. munin
has now been removed!!

If you're tempted to try dixprs be aware that the station coordinates
are required in decimal degrees and not the standard aprs format.

More later.

Ray vk2tv