[OZAPRS] Underway at last with APRS

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Mon Sep 3 20:44:50 EST 2012

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 20:29:31 +1000
Damien Gardner Jnr <vk2tdg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Liz,
>
> See http://www.aprs-is.net/q.aspx - qAR means that the packet was
> received via a verified (aka logged in) connection from an IGate - in
> this case, VK2KCM-5.
>
> How did you go on receive? I've found my D710 to be quite susceptible
> to noise from a dirty connection in the base of my antenna, and not
> very good at decoding packets unless I've pulled the car over and
> turned the ignition off!
>
> Cheers,
>
> DG

Receive was fair overall - excellent when in Orange but not so good at
the extremes of reception as should be expected. By extremes I mean
when 70km away from the Parkes IGate, as I picked up one weather packet
after I could no longer be heard.

Voice reception with the built-in speaker is very hard to decipher
against the diesel running hard and noisy tyres on the road