[OZAPRS] Raspbery Pi (RPi) Gateway

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Sep 3 17:13:11 EST 2012

Hi Darryl,

The project is looking very promising indeed.

There are two versions of the RPi, A & B. A was the original that had
the linear regulator, no ethernet port and other bits I can't recall off
the top of my head. The B version has the ethernet port (10/100 only)
and it requires a 5V supply. The designer's rationale was that there are
many 5V plug packs available at low prices. Their choice of power
connector is the micro USB that's now found on most phones. The iphone
is, I believe, an exception. The choice of composite video or hdmi has
attracted much comment. Design philosophy is that VGA is disappearing
technology. Keeping in mind the educational objective of the RPi
Institute, cost to the user (especially students) should be kept low and
many users would have access to a TV that meets the video requirement.

I agree re aprx - just trying to get my head around the config file -
more late night reading required.

Ray vk2tv