[OZAPRS] Uniden GPS 301 (Chris Comollattie)

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Mon Sep 3 12:36:36 EST 2012

Chris,

This is an interesting device. By the looks of what I can see its got real
posibilities.
I am not sure exactly what you want to do with it but it would seem that you
could feed the serial NMEA strings into a trakker of some sort.
The manual is here at
http://www.uniden.com.au/resources_main/pdfs/GPS301_OM.pdf

Page 23 says
GPS - NMEA Ver 3.01Data is output from the serial Port continuously.

This is for connecting to other Devices that require GPS Data.

Page 18 says
Scroll to desired Baud rate setting (9600bps or 4800bps).

So its just a matter of which particular NMEA sentences its putting out as
to how much info you could get out of a trakker thats on air and sending it
out. If its got GPRMC and GPGGA then your in business. Very likely some of
the sentences its sending out are usable.
Then its also a matter of what voltage levels are present on the serial
line. By the looks of the cable supplied on page 2 its RS232 designed to
plug into a PC serial port so this will probably work as well but may need a
level conversion/buffering but not impossible.

My best guess is that it could be made to work with a Trakker or D700/710
and the like.

Tony Hunt  VK5AH ----- Original Message -----