[OZAPRS] FT-290R + Signalink USB

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Fri Feb 10 09:17:21 EST 2012

Nick/All,

Let's not forget that the frequencies are 1000Hz apart for 1k2 packet
(1200/2200Hz) and frequency response at those two frequencies may be all
important for successful decoding of packets.

Assuming the correct (6dB/octave) pre-emphasis at the tx, the rx
discriminator output will show high tone close to twice the level of the
low tone and, for post de-emphasis, the two tone levels will be close to
the same. Those situations are normal. Things can get a bit off the
rails, however, if speaker audio is taken for the TNC/modem.

By way of an example, the very first radio I used for packet, about
1985, was a Multi-750 (FM/SSB/CW). The "speaker" audio had been tailored
so severely (presumably to make the audio sound half decent on SSB) that
the level at 2200Hz was way short of what was required for the TNC.
Enough that I could decode about one packet in one hundred. As a
stop-gap measure I made an external RC filter to provide locally
pre-emphasised audio for the TNC (TNC220). Later, I took post
de-emphasis audio from inside the radio, via an emitter follower.

Modern modems and perhaps software modems are probably more tolerant of
incorrect audio levels than TNC's based on the Exar 2206/2211 pair where
the decoder chip would fail to decode if the high tone was even 1-2dB
lower in level than the low tone. The TNC2 and variants (MFJ1270, e.g.)
all used the Exar pair.

Whenever I have decode issues, the first thing I check is the relative
tone levels with a CRO. There are plenty of software oscilloscopes
available these days so almost everyone can have access to a CRO. I
recommend you look at this piece of Freeware - Visual Analyser 2011. To
quote WA8LMF, "This *FREEWARE*  program, written by an Italian
electrical engineering PhD candidate at the University of Rome, emulates
a whole stack of HP audio test instruments in a single 5 MB exe file."

It is an impressive array of audio test equipment.

Ray, vk2tv