[OZAPRS] Love that HF

Terry Neumann tfneumann at internode.on.net
Fri Apr 13 20:44:47 EST 2012

Today I made a 500km round trip to a station north of Orroroo where my
gliding club is operating for a few days.   It's a pretty isolated area
- even the mobile phone services give up soon after Orroroo.   I used
both HF and VHF APRS - both TT3's running "in series" from the one GPS,
with an IC-706 on HF, and a Yaesu FT-1500 on 2 metres.

The HF track is here
<http://aprs.fi/#%21mt=roadmap&z=9&call=a%2FVK5ATN-15&timerange=86400>

The 2 metre SSID was VK5ATN-8 and can be found from the same page.
The digi coverage in that part of the world is very limited and this
result was expected,  but HF (30m) worked extremely well.

My thanks to the HF stations elsewhere who gated my reports - six
stations in all from my quick check.

Much appreciated :-)

73,
Terry