[OZAPRS] Wide ?

Gary Stern vk2zbb at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 10:43:33 EST 2011

hi folks,

 From : http://aprs.net.au/vhf/national-2m-aprs-network

For Mobile stations, the path of  APRS v WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 is used
nationally (even Internationally).

For Fixed stations, a path of APRS v WIDE2-1 is generally recommended,
however each state may apply slightly different practises. Please check
your local state pages for further information.

Now somewhere on the Australian Pages, I also read mobiles outside of
the Major City areas should use WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2 instead.

Now I admit I am an APRS newbie, but the suggestion for the 2-2 does
make some sense to me, provided you return to 2-1 within range of the
major areas.

Now the simple question I have to ask, is whether the change will make
coverage better for the travelers and possibly help reduce the gaps in
coverage ?

I realise that if the stations are not there to relay, it wont, but are
we effectively missing out on some extra coverage ?

Does it make any difference to the gateway operations ?

My return trip Cairns > Sydney (Starting Sunday) will be via the inland
route, I really should have my HF setup, but alas, not this trip for
aprs, just vhf, which is why the question.

Gary
vk2zbb