[OZAPRS] D700 Internal GPS

Howard Small howard at small.com.au
Sun Mar 6 20:07:40 EST 2011

Hi Damien

Actually I am using my FTM-350 as a model. At first I mounted its
control unit with GPS on the dash of my Kia Carnival but then it got
super hot when the car was parked. After that I mounted the control unit
where the car radio would be (below the air conditioning outlets so
quite low down) but have it sitting about 2cm forward. The inbuilt GPS
works 100% there. When I looked at the specs for some of the small OEM
GPS units around now they are super sensitive and leave the old ones for
dead. This is probably why the one in the Yaesu works so well in what I
thought would be a lousy location.

In a nutshell, based on the Yaesu experience, I figure my D700 control
unit, which sits on the dash of my Defender and is unreadable when it
gets hot, will work a treat with an inbuilt GPS in that location.

The other solution I have been considering (it has been raining pretty
well all day up here in FNQ) is to put a bluetooth OEM unit in the D700
transceiver and let it talk to a bluetooth GPS. I have such a GPS I
bought for my noteook and OziExplorer which cost very little on eBay and
works quite well. Digging around on the internet today I can find a
number of units for around the USD25-30 mark but I am not too sure about
interfacing them.

With a receiving (master) unit in the D700 and an el cheapo bluetooth
GPS sitting somewhere convenient it could work out pretty well...

Howard
VK4BS