[OZAPRS] Compiling aprsd

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Sun Jun 12 10:06:24 EST 2011

Hi Pete,
I haven't used "smee" for a long time. ;)

On 12/06/2011, at 12:23 AM, Peter Illmayer <peter at illmayer.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the details, I saw the T2's were running Java but didnt connect the dots :-)  We're getting Alice Springs into APRS and I'm going to run the i-gate on the IRLP node....Hopefully the box has enough grunt to run JAVA.. is the combination "leaky", do we need to regularly reboot ?

I run it using Openjdk 1.6 on FreeBSD and it's been up for 90 days at the moment.  It doesn't seem to leak memory much if at all and has been very reliable.  It also doesn't take much CPU so I don't think you'll have problems on your IRLP node.  It may consume more CPU on an older jvm that doesn't have the hotspot jvm improvements although I've run it on both 1.4 and 1.5 jvms with few problems.

You can also feed the status of your IRLP node into aprs with a script.  See;

http://aprs.fi/?call=a%2FVK1KCM-5

> The Digi on West Gap should give excellent coverage over the town..

I can plot a coverage map if you like.  Give me frequency, location, power and antenna height and I'll run it through splat.

Carl,
(vk1kcm)