[OZAPRS] Compiling aprsd

Damien Gardner Jnr vk2tdg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 00:49:07 EST 2011

On 12/06/2011, at 12:23 AM, Peter Illmayer wrote:

> Hi Smee :-)
>
> Thanks for the details, I saw the T2's were running Java but didnt connect the dots :-)  We're getting Alice Springs into APRS and I'm going to run the i-gate on the IRLP node....Hopefully the box has enough grunt to run JAVA.. is the combination "leaky", do we need to regularly reboot ?

second:~# w
 00:42:00 up 258 days,  4:33,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Nope, you won't have to reboot ;)

*grin* If you can run a c app, you can run a java app :-p  Unless the person writing the java app is a lousy programmer, there's really no difference in performance/memory usage ;)  I have a little java app at work, receiving ~5000 SNMP traps/minute, queuing them up for a processing task which kicks off every 30 seconds to work out whether to log them to DB for human viewing, ignore them, or dump them into our alerting system - it peaks out around 6mbytes of ram, and drops back to a steady 538kbytes after the forced garbage collection after each processing run :)

Javaprsd *did* once have a fairly hefty CPU footprint (well technically it was all in iowait), but that seems to have been cleaned up in the last year or so :)  Though it has a pretty hefty memory footprint - currently sitting at 121mbytes, which seems FAR more than it should be, for what it's doing..  Although it would appear to be running on jdk1.5.0 beta 2 here, so it's possibly there's a memory leak in the JDK itself :-p

Cheers,

DG